How are bus stops determined?
In determining school bus routes and school bus stop locations, the following shall be used by MCCSC to the best extent possible:
- Safety first!
- Student eligibility for transportation.
- The distance to the bus stop is less than one-half mile from the student’s home address.
- Combined bus stops for two or more families living in proximity.
- Use of public highways and not private roadways.
- At least 300 feet of visibility at the bus stop.
- Ease and safety of loading/unloading the bus.
- No stopping on a 4-lane roadway that would require a student to cross the road.
- Leaving the main roadway where visibility is limited, or the bus must cross the center line.
- Avoiding cul-de-sacs or dead-end roadways where buses can’t turn around safely.
- Any other state regulations and safety practices.