Health Services Department
Good school attendance is important and we expect your child to be in school when they are physically able to attend. However, we do not have the sickroom facilities or the personnel to take care of children who are sick and who should not be in attendance. Therefore, we ask your cooperation to please keep your child at home when they do not feel well.
Listed below are some guidelines to use when deciding if your child should stay home. In the best interest of your child’s well-being and that of other students, please follow these general guidelines throughout the school year. If you have any questions, please call your child’s school health office.
CHILDREN SHOULD NOT COME TO SCHOOL WITH ANY OF THE PROBLEMS LISTED BELOW:
Fever: higher than 100 orally. Child may return to school when temperature has been normal for 24 hours without the use of medication.
1. Any inflammatory eye condition with a mucous discharge – especially redness of eyes associated with any mucous discharge, swelling, or eyes that are matted shut in the morning.
2. Any rash with open sores or blisters – unless child has note from the doctor stating rash is not contagious.
3. Coughs associated with fever (or profuse runny nose).
4. Sore throat in presence of elevated temperature.
5. Vomiting. Student should be vomit free for 24 hours.
6. Diarrhea with fever. Student should be diarrhea free for 24 hours.
7. Open sores that have a crusty appearance.
8. If your student has chickenpox, student may return to school when all lesions are crusted over and dry.
9. If your child has head lice, contact your school’s health office. After shampooing your child’s hair with medicated shampoo and removing eggs from the hair, students need to be seen by the health aide or registered nurse before returning to school. Your child may return to school after treatment if he/she has been checked by the health aide or registered nurse. Your child may not ride the bus until cleared by the health aide or registered nurse. MCCSC Lice guidelines may be found on the MCCSC website: https://www.mccsc.edu/Page/3233
Director of Health Services