Parents Make a Difference!
The information below summarizes the volunteer opportunities at Childs School. Most of the options require little time and provide BIG rewards! Some projects can be done at school, and others can even be done from home. Please sign up to volunteer at Childs via our sign up page.PROGRAMS/EVENTS
- Fall Teacher Appreciation Event - Help provide a meal for teachers during in the fall. Donate food, drinks, table supplies, etc. or help with set up or clean up.
- International Walk To School Day - Assist with the coordination the event at the school for both the parents and students in observance of International Walk to School Day. Volunteers are needed to assist with the set-up and tear-down of the event as well as passing out favors for the walkers as well as coffee to the parents.
- Teacher Appreciation Breakfasts - Provide delicious baked goods to show the teachers our support. Dates will vary and volunteers will be contacted.
- Sixth Grade Recognition Event - Help with the reception following the Sixth Grade Recognition program at the end of the school year. The 6th grade parents are needed to help with planning and coordinating of the event and 5th grade parents are needed to work the event.
- Spring Teacher Appreciation Week - Help provide a meal for teachers during National Teacher Appreciation Week. Donate food, drinks, table supplies, etc. or help with set up or clean up. This also includes a series of events and special gifts and keepsakes to show how much we love our teachers!
- PTO Supper at Open House - A lot of help is needed for this event. We need help setting up, serving, and cleaning up. This is a great way to meet people at the start of the year!
- Grade Level Program Support - Set up and distribute refreshments and snacks at grade level programs.
- Kroger Cards - Have your grocery purchases raise funds for Childs.
Simply follow these steps:
2. Create an account
3. Register your Kroger Plus Card number
4. Enroll your Plus Card in the Community Rewards program to Childs Elementary School’s account (enter Childs’ number 10879)
After enrollment, each time you shop at Kroger and present your Kroger Plus Card, Childs Elementary will earn rewards. Once a household member enrolls his/her card, all linked Kroger Plus Cards within that household will begin earning funds for Childs. (Some restrictions apply – fuel, alcohol, and tobacco are excluded).
- Childs Night Out - Dine in or carry out at a select restaurant for Childs Night Out and a percentage of the sales comes back to Childs.
- Box Tops for Education - General Mills box tops are collected as a fundraiser for the school. Volunteers are needed to assist with preparation of box tops for mailing to General Mills.
- PTO Room Representative - Coordinate classroom volunteers for the room activity and the class basket for the spring Carnival.
- Carnival - The Spring Carnival is the PTO's biggest fundraiser. Volunteers are needed in many different areas, including: planning and organization; set-up; running classroom games; serving food at the Pizza Supper; donating baked goods for the bake sale and cake walk; and much more. More information will be sent home in late winter requesting volunteers.
- Silent Auction, Raffle, and Class Baskets - This is an integral part of the Spring Carnival. The committee helps solicit donations on-line and local businesses, coordinates the classroom baskets with PTO room reps, organizes the donated items to prepare for the auction, and runs the auction during Carnival. This is a great way to scope out your favorite items to bid on during the auction!
- Back to School - This position includes decorating the school with back to school themed items, balloons and creating the bulletin board with teacher names. Welcome packets for new families entering Bloomington or Childs School are also created.
- PTO Copies - Duties include making copies of important information to be sent home to families.
- Classroom Volunteer - Contact teachers to assist with reading, writing revisions, computer work, and various other projects.
- Yearbook - Assist with the production of the school yearbook, including photographing students and teachers at school. Assistance is also needed selling yearbooks in spring.
- Sustainability Committee - The purpose of Childs PTO Sustainability Committee is to meet the needs of current Childs students and staff while not compromising the needs of future generations of Childs students and staff through waste reduction, reuse and recycling projects; gardening; environmental and eco-lifestyle education; and healthy living initiatives. Volunteers are needed throughout the year.