Planning for student and school safety and quality instructional time is a priority of School, State, Federal, and local agencies. This is even more on our minds due to heightened security at school sites across the country.
University School has responded to these needs through our Safe Schools Plan, through the procedures we use for people entering our school, the procedures we have in place that keep classroom disruptions to a minimum, and the knowledge that we know who is in our building at all times.
University School has developed a Safe Schools Plan, which includes fire, tornado, earthquake and all emergency drill procedures that could be used if any emergency should arise. Students and staff practice these drills on a routine basis.
University School’s plan includes the following message to ALL individuals entering this school:
1. Parents are to use the NORTH ENTRANCE of school to pick up and drop off students. This includes students in Kindergarten through Grade 6 as well as Extended Day.
2. Students are to arrive at school no earlier than 8:45 am unless they are in Extended Day.
3. Vehicles other than school buses are NEVER to drop students off at the east or south side of the building where buses travel. Only buses are allowed in the EAST parking lot between the hours of 8:30 am and 9:00 am, and again between the hours of 3:30 pm and 4:00 pm.
4. Security and emergency procedures require all individuals entering the school to register at the school office between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:45 pm.
5. Parking in the fire and emergency lanes in front of the building is prohibited by law. The City of Bloomington will enforce the “no parking in fire and emergency lanes.” Cars may be towed at the owner’s expense.
6. Handicapped spaces are only to be used if proper permits are displayed.