Frequently Asked Questions
What is The Academy of Science & Entrepreneurship?
The Academy of Science and Entrepreneurship is a small, intellectually vibrant, MCCSC high school open to students in Monroe and neighboring counties. It is a New Technology Network college and career prep program primarily using Project-Based Learning strategies and 21st century skills development. In partnership with Ivy Tech and Indiana University, students will earn a high school diploma and college coursework with emphasis in one of the following career pathways:
- Engineering (STEM)
- Digital Arts & Media
- Computer Science (Informatics)
- Life Sciences (BioMed)
- Business & Entrepreneurship
Students that choose to attend The Academy of Science and Entrepreneurship will:
- Earn 18-30 college credits toward Associate and Bachelor’s degrees in the offered career pathways along with the high school diploma
- Prepare for real careers available in the Monroe County area
- Work with local companies to learn real-world skills
Is transportation available?
Yes, for students that are in the MCCSC district. Students ride a shuttle bus from their districted high school to The Academy. If a student does not reside within the MCCSC school district it is the family’s responsibility to arrange for transportation to and from the school. Currently the school is evaluating transportation options to the Ivy Tech Campus. All college coursework required at the 9th and 10th grade levels will be offered on The Academy campus.
How will I know if The Academy is a good fit for my son or daughter?
The profile for a successful Academy student includes but is not limited to the following characteristics:
- Excited about earning college credits as a part of the high school diploma
- Prepared to use computers for creating presentations, doing research, completing assignments and professional communication
- Flexible and prepared to work collaboratively with other students, facilitators, entrepreneurs and business leaders, colleges, universities and the community
- Prepared to complete high school coursework at an accelerated pace and to access professional internships and college coursework before graduation.
What extra-curricular programs are offered at The Academy?
The Academy offers the following activities.
- ASE Student Leadership Team
- Art Club
- Business Professionals of America
- Green Team (Recycling)
- Robotics Club
- World Language Club
- National Honor Society
- Dance Club
- Philosophy Club
- Other organizations are developed based on the interests of the student body
In addition all Academy students are allowed to participate in sports, marching band, and theater activities at their districted high school.
Can ASE students participate in other extracurricular activities?Academy students can also participate in sports at their districted high school. In addition there are a number of fine arts related activities that Academy students may participate in including: Marching Band, Pep Band, and Theater.Please visit the website of your districted school for more information about these opportunities.
Are there additional costs to attend The Academy?
The fees for students enrolled are dependent upon their course selection. There are no additional tuition costs to the student for their enrollment in college courses at The Academy; however, there may be textbook and course fees. Students who fail a college course and need to repeat the course for college credit may be responsible for the per credit hour fee; ranging from $150.00-$225.00 per class. In addition students and or their family will be responsible for any costs related to courses taken at any other college or university.