Migrant Work Survey
Purpose of the Work Survey
- Proper identification of migrant students for additional educational support.
Qualifications for Migrant Education Program
- Did the child move (alone, with or to join a parent, spouse or guardian) within the last 36 months?
- Was the move from one school district to another?
- Was the purpose of the move to obtain work that is (1) temporary or seasonal AND (2) agricultural or fishing?
- Was the work an important part of providing a living for the worker and his/her family?
Work Survey Procedures
- All schools must collect the Migrant Work Survey completed by the parents of all students (aged 3-21) currently enrolled in the district annually.
- Schools must file the original work survey form collected in each student’s cumulative folder.
- Migrant work survey should be a part of the enrollment process.
- Preschool must be included.
- Parents should list all children aged 3-21 in their household in the work survey form.
- Even a college student under the age of 22 who is an eligible migrant student can receive available migrant services.
- If there is any student identified as a potential migrant student through the work survey, the district’s office will contact a recruiter at the regional resource center (Region 5) to continue with the migrant student identification process.